Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hunter x Hunter Episode Three

He's in the OP, so he must be important.

After Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio make it to the Hunter Exam's testing site, they meet a seemingly helpful guy named Tonpa who is really there just to mess with the newbie Exam takes. He introduces them to several candidates, including a bunch of repeat Exam takers, as well as some powerful newbies. He then tries to give them juice laced with a powerful laxative, which Gon sniffs out thanks to his keen sense of taste. He seems to specialize in this sort of thing after episode two's bit with the shapeshifters. The eventual fourth member of the group, as indicated by his prominent place in the OP, is introduced, a boy named Kilua who has developed a resistance to iocane powder Tonpa's laxative. Also, we meet the creepiest clown ever (non-Tim Curry Division) in Hisoka, who makes a dude's arms transform into flower petals for bumping into him. The dude is less than pleased with this development, as not only does he not have arms, but he is disqualified from taking the Hunter Exam.

It's at this point that I dropped the series when it first aired a couple of years ago. I was wary of picking up a long running series at that point, something I am now actively doing to right an apparent wrong. It just goes to show that while I write and rant and rave about how I feel about shows every season, sometimes I'm wrong. And despite my best efforts, some shows slip through my fingers. As an earlier post says, I'm giving some shows a second chance, mostly because the whole reason I started watching everything was to avoid missing the great shows as they come. Which, if what I read from people I trust is true, is exactly what I did in the case of Hunter x Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment