Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Spring 2014 Post-Mortem

This season made me accidentally my face.

Under the cut, we have a conversation between myself and my more assholish alter ego (in bold). It has insights as to what I thought about this season, the state of anime, and an announcement going forward. Enjoy!


So, you finished the Spring 2014 season, huh?

Yep.

From your hiatus, it looks like you needed a break.

Definitely. Twenty-eight shows is a lot.

And you went to ACen. How did that go?

Good. I gavea couple of panels, got a good response
from them. Will be back doing my Dr. Boyslove and
Season Preview panel next year.

Do you honestly think anyone reading this cares
about your panels and whether you'll be back next year?

Do you really think anyone reads this blog in 
the first place, voice in my head?

Touche. So, what should we do now?

I dunno, look back at this season as a whole?

Not a bad idea. You know, you should look at the
pass/fail rates for Spring 2014 and compare it to
the last several seasons you've watched all the shows.

I like it! And I can talk about why this season has
the rate of pass-to-fail shows that it has. But, first I'm 
going to need a - 

Chart?

Brian Cook is going to sue me for ripping him off.

Brian Cook will never know who you are.
Because, he's never going to read this.
Just like everyone else. So, chart?

*sigh* Chart.



So, the last two seasons have been the worst.
Anime sure has gone in the shitter, huh?

I wouldn't say that. I mean, there weren't that many 
completely terrible shows this season. The stuff I failed
was mostly mediocre and forgettable.

Why are the last two pass rates so low then?

I'd say that it's because there are only so many good shows
that the anime industry can make at any one time. Say the maximum
is ten. If there are fifteen shows made in a season, up to ten of them 
will be good. Make thirty shows in a season, up to ten of them will
be good. It's a simple case of diminishing returns. 

So, anime hasn't gone in the shitter?

No. I think that some genres are better off than others as far as
putting out quality shows (sports are doing well, mecha not so much). 
But, the general quality is pretty much constant.

That's not going to generate page views. You need
to do something to get people going.

Did you just quote a Kanye song?

Yes.

I hate me so much.

:(

Cheer up, other me, I have an idea to get me to write more.

You're already writing everyday with the Hunter x Hunter stuff.
Aren't you clogging the internet with shit no one reads enough?

Not in the least.

All right, so what's your idea?

I'm going to give some shows a second chance.

Why? Aren't you the arbiter of all anime taste?

Hardly. Given that I watch plenty of shows that turn out
to be garbage, it's entirely possible that a good show
slipped through my fingers.

That seems like someone who is trying to flip flop
according to popular opinion. So, how are you gonna
choose the shows for these "Make Up Exams"?

"Make Up Exams", huh? I like it.

It fits with the whole education language you use.
So, how are you gonna pick the shows?

Probably a combination of the internet's reaction to some shows and
recommendations from friends. I wanted to ask the audience at
at my season preview panel -

Wait, you got an audience at that panel?

Yes. I had several dozen as a matter of fact
I wanted to get their opinion on what show that I failed
deserved a second chance, but I ran out of time.

So, you talked too much.

I had a lot of shows to get through.

Whatever. how is this going to work?
Are you just gonna watch some crap to completion
because the internet or your friends tell you to do it?

Hell no. I don't hate me that much.
I'll give them two more episodes and give it 
another pass/fail grade. And that will be that.

All right, what shows are you doing?

The internet is in love with No Game, No Life, so that
one for sure. A couple of friends of mine say that Baby Steps
gets better around episode five, so that one as well. And for
the last one, I'm going with Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin.
It's noitaminA, so I'll give it two more eps. 

You have fun with that. Anything else you want to say?

Not really, I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of each season.

Until you can come up with an original schitck, yes.

We both know I'm completely incapable of any original thought.
That's why I'm a critic. I'll see you in the summer.

1 comment:

  1. If I'm to make a comment on your experience of No Game, No Life I'd say that your standard "3-episodes" doesn't match up well with the structure of the show, since the first arc is 4 episodes. Even so, if you're looking for something deep or compelling about the show, you're probably not going to find it. If you aren't enjoying it after episode 4 I'd say it's probably not for you.

    I think the reason people enjoy it is because it provides ample "fanservice", and not just the typical "jiggling breasts and panty shots" that are often attributed with the word (though there is a fair amount of that.) I think the show is really just something you can mindlessly enjoy. Sure, there's no tension when you know that Blank always wins, but IMO that doesn't make it any less cool when it happens. Honestly the show is full of all kinds of BS, but it's greatest strength is in the way that it makes you say "This is ridiculous!" as Sora's insanity messes with the rules of the universe.

    tl;dr If you're looking for something deep/moving, No Game, No Life is probably not for you. If you want to shut your brain off and enjoy watching the most BS chess game ever, it's fantastic.

    As a side note, I regularly read your blog, and I'm glad I do! I probably wouldn't have picked up Haikyuu! if not for you, and I have to say it's shaping up to be my favorite show this season.

    ReplyDelete